Saturday, June 6, 2015

What are the chances of finding a soulmate in Myanmar?

Myanmar census data is out. What that means for us - single people - is that now we are able to estimate our chances of finding a soul-mate in a very objective way.

But see, I am not that picky.
For me, as a single 27 year old girl, I am just hoping to find

Requirement 1) a single guy (...exemptions are for widows or divorcees with no kids)

Requirement 2) who is in the same age range as me (No offense to older folks. But it's just easier to talk to someone who is in the same generation as me. And I don't want to be a cougar either.)

Requirement 3) who lives in Yangon (I am a city girl, which is unfortunate for me. Except for Yangon, the rest of the country looks actually like a country-side.)

Requirement 4) who has at least a college degree (Education is important. Do you agree?)

Requirement 5) who is straight (But it's too bad that census data didn't ask people's sexual preferences. There is no way of knowing now.)

So do you agree that I am very reasonable with my requirements? I am sure you do.
Now let's look at my chances.
There are over 24 million guys in Myanmar. 24,228,714 guys to be exact.

Requirement 1) There are still 3.3 million single guys above the age of 20 left in Myanmar. Not even 14% chance. What a way to start looking at the chances.

Requirement 2) There are only 0.78 million single guys in the age range from 25-29 in Myanmar. Now my chance has gone down to 3%.

Requirement 3) There are 0.27 million single guys in the the age range from 25-29 in Yangon. If my prince charming will have to be from Yangon, my chance now has gone down even further to 1.1%.

Requirement 4) Census data doesn't have a tabulation with the age group, marital status and education status. So now I have to make some assumption. Among all the males in Yangon, 24% has at least a university degree. If that education status structure is similar across all marital status, now I am left only with 64,000 eligible guys. Probability wise, I am left with 0.26%.

Requirement 5) My chances are already slim as it is. I am not gonna go further down. Spare me a few mercy.

From the guy's side, I am sure he is looking for the same quality. There is still 0.15 million single women within my age group left in Yangon, a third of whom are assumed to have at least a university degree. (Hey...Myanmar women are smarter.) It means I may have a direct competition with about 50,000 women.

Overall, even though my chance is quite slim, the other 49,999 women are in the same boat as me. In fact, there are more gents than the ladies in this age group with comparable requirements, which is favorable to all of us. We ladies don't need to compete against each other that much. There is at least one guy for all of us. The gents are not as lucky as us though. Some 14,000 gents are definitely fated to be lu-pyo-gyis for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment